I am a critical care nurse, educator and life-long student! This blog was created as a requirement for an e-learning module. It is an area for reflection on learning, sharing materials and information with fellow classmates.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

wikis for everyone

In one of my first ramblings on this blog, I shared with you my desire to create a microbiology e-learning module especially aimed at Nurses in hospital acute care settings.  Surveillance of infections is vital to the success of any infection prevention and control programme - but such surveillance requires more than just a passable microbiology knowledge.  


There was a constant nagging feeling that I was taking on too much as my first e-learning attempt. I have had to come to terms with the fact that there are time restrictions to this assignment, but more importantly, I too have only a passable microbiology knowledge. It is simply not feasible for me to create an e-learning module around something that I still need to master myself over time.


I recently volunteered to be the webmaster of the Best Care...Always Campaign website (it's remarkable what madness envelops you when you anticipate being an e-learning guru come 10 August!) hehehe.  It gets even madder - I volunteered to re-build the site content on Wikispaces so that the website could really promote collaberation and learning.  Wiki's are a learning theorist's greatest dream - they have the ability to promote Constructivism, Cognitivism and Behaviourism through collaberation, interaction and distribution of learning. 


My enthusiasm and volunteerism often exceed my capacity, and this was starting to feel like one such venture. I am usually incredibly quick to volunteer - but then I ruminate (chew the cud) for an extended period of time before I am willing to put something down on paper  (in this case, the blogosphere). 
Don't worry JP - re-building the site content is not my e-learning project - that project was started by a fellow campaigner a few weeks ago, and I think he has made a fantastic start - check out http://www.bca.wikispaces.net/. I have tentatively prodded and poked and decided to take baby steps instead, by elaborating on one of the specific campaign initiatives - Preventing central line-associated bloodstream infections (CLABSI). If you've clicked on the link and navigated to this page on the BCA wikispace, you will see that there are a few introductory paragraphs and then two resources for down-loading.  The first is a one-pager which gives a synopsis of the CLABSI bundle; and the second is a 62 page 'Get Started kit' - and that is it. Having gone through this process myself, I know that it is pretty overwhelming - it discourages even the toughest amongst us.  


I have done a lot of teaching around the CLABSI bundle, and I believe I have the knowledge and skills to simplify and convey the key messages and teachings around this important concept.


This may not have been a completely Zen analysis, but at least I have committed some of my thoughts to the giant blogosphere before rushing off to watch the last mountain stage of the Tour de France......Go Andy, Go!!!!!



1 comment:

  1. What a win for Andy! Riveting cycling I must say.

    Thank you for this post which is entertaining and informative. Your reflection is of value to all of us.

    The time issue is important for this module, but I am so glad that you are forging something that has a direct impact on your passions and involvement professionally. Even though you will describe the integration of a small part of a bigger project, what is learned in terms of instructional design in this microcosm, will impact on the macro context as well.

    The websites that you are involved with (wow, as webmaster!) are really quality sites and a pleasure to use(ability is big field in online design!). Your specific page on wikispaces (which by the way looks like one of the best wiki-hosting sites I have ever seen) about CLABSI is professional, and the idea around the page and info that will grow is impressive.

    I think (and am sure you probably have already thought of this) is to indicate and reflect on the why, when, who, what, where etc questions around your: 1. Choice of platform, 2. Choice of media, 3. Choice of topic (already dealt with to some extent above) etc. We are interested in the meta teaching and learning level surrounding your sites.

    Again, well done on good insight and progress so far, looking forward to the next steps.

    ReplyDelete